YouTube Playlist Reader was written to cover a specific need: To fetch the videos of specific playlists on YouTube for JoomlaDay Greece. Most things in life tend to come from real needs, right?
To summarize things:
- You can use it to fetch multiple YouTube playlists on the same page (requires multiple script init blocks of course)
- It's simple to implement, small in size and fast to load. Default CSS is embedded, but can be overwritten.
- It's non-blocking (asynchronous). This means that the browser will continue to load the rest of the page while feeds are loading.
- You can style the output of each item in the video gallery.
- It works on all modern browsers: Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera and IE7+ (may work in IE6 too).
I built the script cause I wanted a simple way to embed the videos from JoomlaDay Greece (an event we organize) on joomladay.gr, having just switched from Vimeo which offered a similar widget. I hated to look around for some crappy jQuery widget to do that, so I just built a new one - and why not share it? Enjoy!
Grab the zip file and extract its contents. Add the main initializer script inside the <head> section of your site. For advanced usage parameters, see the source code of this page.
Finally you need a placeholder element, a simple html link ("a" tag), with at least a specific data attribute (data-source="ypr") and the source of the link pointing to the actual YouTube playlist. Additional parameters for the grid display can be set by 2 more data attributes are as in the example below:
<a data-source="ypr" data-columns="3" data-count="15" href="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0875C16C899A8DE6&t=1">My music playlist</a>
- v2.0.0: Updated parser for the new YouTube v3 API. Current max limit for videos is 15. Minimal CSS now included. New option added to specify the number of columns for the video gallery grid. The use of the opening and closing "li" html tag in the override theme is no longer required.
- v1.0.0: First release.